Lives of the fellows

Walter Stacy Colman

b.1864 d.31 December 1934
MD Lond MRCS FRCP(1897)

Walter Colman was the son of Samuel Crackanthorp Colman and Lucy Maria Stacy, who both came of well-known Norfolk families. He went to school at Bishops Stortford College and studied medicine at Peterborough Infirmary, Edinburgh University and University College, London, qualifying in 1886 and winning a Murchison scholarship in 1887. In his early career he received junior appointments at the West London Hospital, the Hospital for Sick Children and the National Hospital for the Paralysed and Epileptic, and served as assistant physician to the North-West London Hospital. At the Hospital for Sick Children and the National Hospital he went on to become assistant physician. He was duly elected full physician to the former, but he resigned from the latter on being appointed in 1898 assistant physician, with charge of the children’s department, and lecturer on forensic medicine, at St. Thomas’s Hospital. Persistent ill health prevented his further advancement. Nevertheless, during the 1914-1918 War, he served in the 2nd London General Hospital and, in 1917, in France, until he was invalided home. Colman was the author of articles in Allbutt and Rolleston’s System of Medicine and in Allchin’s Manual of Medicine, and belonged to the staff of the Lancet. After retiring in 1918, he lived in Farnham, and from 1922 to 1931 was an energetic member of the Surrey County Council, being concerned particularly in the improvement of the county’s mental hospitals. In his leisure he was a keen archaeologist and freemason. He married in 1898 Dorothea, daughter of William Sproston Caine, M.P, and had two sons.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1935]

(Volume IV, page 393)

<< Back to List