Lives of the fellows

Frank Clayton

b.3 April 1882 d.5 November 1974
MRCS LRCP(1907) MRCP(1911) MD Cantab(1912) FRCP(1933)

Frank Clayton, son of Charles Clayton of London and Mary, née Compton, was educated at Bilton Grange, Rugby School, Trinity College, Cambridge, and University College Hospital. In 1914 he married Emily Eastwood whose father was Thomas Eastwood, a fruit broker of Hoylake, Cheshire. They had two children, daughters, Brenda Mary born in 1915 and Josephine Mary in 1919.

Clayton qualified with the Conjoint in 1907 and took the Cambridge MD in 1912. After doing hospital posts at University College Hospital he joined Dr. Hicks in Leamington in 1910. He was admitted a Member in 1911 and a Fellow in 1933. He was Honorary Physician from 1911-1947 at the Warneford Hospital, Leamington. He was also Physician to the Midland Home for Incurables. During the first world war he served in the RAMC (T) attaining the rank of Major. He was mentioned once in despatches. After retirement in 1951 he went to Aldeburgh and later to Tunbridge Wells. His wife and daughters survived him.

He was one of the last true Spa specialists and had a large practice. He endeared himself to his patients, who felt he took a great interest in and untiring care of them. He was a father figure to young doctors who could rely on him to help them, not only as a consultant but in any personal or practice difficulties.

Frank Clayton was a robust character. Every morning before breakfast, clad in only shirt and shorts, he ran up Newbold Terrace, where he lived. This and his daily cold bath kept him extremely fit and his daughter never remembers his having a day off except for a holiday. In his prime he was an outstanding tennis player. She does however remember an annoying trait which was that whenever they went to the theatre in Stratford or to a meal with friends, he always had to see a patient on the way and consequently they were always late. One of his hobbies was pigeons, which he bred in a loft over his garage, where he kept his green Rover of vintage design.

He was an old Rugbian in the Arnold tradition of the Christian gentleman.

RE Smith

[Brit.med.J., 1974, 4, 599]

(Volume VI, page 104)

<< Back to List