b.29 October 1859 d.21 April 1918
BA Cantab(1883) MA MD Hon LLD Bristol MRCS FRCP(1896)
John Michell Clarke was born at Clifton, the son of William Michell Clarke, a Bristol surgeon, and was educated at a private school, and at Clifton College, before going up to Caius College, Cambridge, where he graduated in natural sciences in 1883. He qualified as a doctor at St. Thomas’s Hospital two years later, and then served as a house physician in the Hospital. Returning to Clifton to practise, he was elected assistant physician to Bristol General Hospital in 1887 and physician in 1893. He became successively lecturer on physiology and professor of pathology and of medicine at University College, Bristol, and, on the foundation of Bristol University — an event with which, in respect of medical re-organisation, he was closely associated — he was appointed to its chair of medicine. He was a pro-vice-chancellor of the University from 1911 till his death. Primarily a neurologist, Michell Clarke contributed to Allbutt’s System of Medicine, and delivered the Long Fox lecture at Bristol in 1910 and the Bradshaw Lecture at the Royal College of Physicians in 1915. During the 1914-1918 War he was in command of the Southmead section of the 2nd Southern General Hospital, holding the rank of lieutenant-colonel. His wife was the daughter of Dr. A. J. Harrison of Clifton; they had two sons and three daughters. He died at Looe, Cornwall.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1918; B.M.J., 1918; Al.Cantab., ii, 52]
(Volume IV, page 386)
<< Back to List