Lives of the fellows

William Cholmeley

b.30 March 1823 d.18 June 1896
MD St And MRCS FRCP(1870)

William Cholmeley was born at Waynflete in Lincolnshire, of which his father was rector. After being apprenticed to a local doctor, he studied at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, qualifying in 1844, and then spent a year in Paris. On returning to London, he began to practise as a consulting physician with enough success to justify, in 1871, a removal from Russell Square to Grosvenor Street. He lectured at the Grosvenor Place School on medicine for a time, and joined the staff of the Margaret Street Infirmary. But his life-work was centred in the Great Northern (afterwards Central) Hospital, of which he first became physician in 1858. It was due to his patience, resource and unremitting effort in thirty-six years’ active connection with the Hospital that it survived, and indeed emerged flourishing, from the numerous difficulties, including three enforced changes of premises, that beset its early years. Cholmeley edited the Medical Times and Gazette from 1873 to 1883. He married in 1871 Louisa, daughter of Lt.-Col. H. Ross Gore, C.B.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1896; B.M.J., 1896]

(Volume IV, page 177)

<< Back to List