b.10 March 1832 d.1 December 1896
BA Oxon(1854) BM(1857) MA DM FRCP(1871)
Born at Hackney, the seventh son of Samuel Preston Child, G. W. Child was educated at Clapham Grammar School and Exeter College, Oxford, where he took a natural science degree in 1854. His own wish was to enter Holy Orders but, on his father’s persuasion, he proceeded to St. George’s Hospital to study medicine. In 1857, the year of his B.M. degree, he was elected physician to the Radcliffe Infirmary, a post which he resigned nine years later on appointment as lecturer on botany at St. George’s. He acted as examiner for the Oxford B.M. degree in 1863 and for the natural science school in 1868. In 1868 and 1869 he published Essays on Physiological Subjects. He was an active member of the council of Somerville Hall. He also Established a strong connection with the city of Oxford. For five years, from 1866 to 1871, he served as medical officer of health to the Oxford Local Board, and he was responsible for several reports on Oxford sanitation. In the City of London, Child retained a family association with the Clothworkers’ Company and filled the office of master in 1890. Historical research on the Reformation was the main occupation of his later years, and in 1890 his book on Church and State under the Tudors was published. A staunch Anglican, he publicised his views in Romanism, Protestantism, Anglicanism, A Layman's View in 1882 and The Church of England in relation to Other Bodies of Christians in 1893. One of his hobbies was changing and improving his houses, and a list of his addresses shows at least eight residences in Oxford and its district occupied by Child. He was married three times: to his cousin Louisa Jane, daughter of Robert Child of Russell Square, London, by whom he had three sons and two daughters; to Fanny, daughter of J. M. B. Durrant of Southover Priory, Sussex; and to Ada, daughter of Wilson Clement Cruttwell of Frome. He died at Headington Hill.
G H Brown
[Times, 2 Dec. 1896; A. G. Gibson, Radcliffe Infirmary, 1926, 138; Al.Oxon., i, 247]
(Volume IV, page 191)
<< Back to List