Lives of the fellows

Frederick George Chandler

b.25 July 1885 d.8 October 1942
MB Cantab(1911) MA MD MRCS FRCP(1925)

Frederick Chandler was born at Sutton, Surrey, the son of George Chandler, and from the Leys School went up to Jesus College, Cambridge, with a classical scholarship. Having gained first-class honours in the natural sciences tripos of 1908, he completed his medical training at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, qualifying in 1911. He then obtained junior appointments there, at the Hospital for Sick Children and the Brompton Hospital, and was acting as registrar at the London Hospital when war was declared in 1914. His next four years were spent mainly in France, where he served, in the rank of captain, as medical officer of the 2nd Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and with a field ambulance and a casualty clearing station. On his return, he was elected, in 1919, to the staff of the City of London Hospital for Diseases of the Chest and, three years later, to Charing Cross Hospital. He resigned from the latter in 1930, on being appointed assistant physician to St. Bartholomew’s. Chandler also belonged to the consulting staffs of the King Edward VII Sanatorium at Midhurst and the Hospital for Tropical Diseases. He gave the Mitchell Lecture on tuberculosis at the Royal College of Physicians in 1939, and it was as an authority on diseases of the chest that he was generally known. He was a pioneer in chest surgery at a critical stage of its development, and devised a useful single-puncture thoracoscope. As a teacher he had unusual drive and enthusiasm, which he was capable of communicating to his assistants and students; he was a good draughtsman and an exponent of the graphic representation of facts and figures. He was interested in music, literature and art, but gardening was perhaps his chief hobby. Chandler married Marjorie, daughter of Frederick Raimes, J.P, of Durham, and had one son and two daughters. He died in his country home at Newdigate, Surrey.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1942; B.M.J., 1942; St. Bart.’s Hopsital Journal, 1942, xlvii, 23, 39]

(Volume IV, page 598)

<< Back to List