b.19 March 1815 d.30 August 1886
MD Hon DCL Durh FRCP Edin FRCP(1866) JP
Charles Chadwick spent the whole of his life in Leeds, apart from the period of his training at Edinburgh, where he graduated in 1837, and for the dozen years of his retirement at Tunbridge Wells. He was physician to the Leeds General Infirmary for twenty-eight years and one of the sponsors of the project of re-housing it in new buildings. Other institutions served by him were the Dispensary and the Fever Hospital, and he was lecturer on the principles and practice of medicine at the Leeds School of Medicine. He was believed to be the first provincial physician proposed for a seat on the Council of the Royal College of Physicians—an honour which failing health compelled him to decline. Chadwick was highly esteemed locally for his benefactions to charities—in particular, the West Riding Medical Charitable Society. He left a family of seven daughters and two sons, one of whom was C. M. Chadwick, F.R.C.P.
G H Brown
(Volume IV, page 150)
<< Back to List