Lives of the fellows

Edward John Cave

b.1859 d.16 February 1934
MB Lond(1885) MD MRCS FRCP(1912)

From Chard Grammar School E. J. Cave entered St. Bartholomew’s Hospital as a medical student. He qualified in 1883 and graduated as M.B. with the gold medal in medicine two years later. He then obtained resident appointments successively at the Royal United Hospital, Bath, Newcastle Royal Infirmary, and Leeds Public Dispensary, before settling in general practice at Crewkerne in Somerset. Such was his ability that he was persuaded to stand for the vacancy of assistant physician to Bath Royal United Hospital. He was duly elected in 1898 and became full physician in 1899, thereafter earning a reputation as an authority on the local spa treatment for rheumatism. He was an excellent chess player and enjoyed golf and billiards. Cave was married and had one daughter. He died at Bath.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1934; B.M.J., 1934]

(Volume IV, page 523)

<< Back to List