b.16 January 1849 d.4 April 1918
MD Lond MSc Birm MRCS LSA FRCP(1891) JP
A. H. Carter was born at Pewsey in Wiltshire, where his father, C. H. Carter, F.R.C.S, was in practice. He was educated at Epsom and University College, London, and qualified in 1870. During the Franco-German War he served in a field hospital. After his return to England he held house appointments successively at University College Hospital, Wolverhampton General Hospital and Birmingham General Hospital. It was in Birmingham that he made his career. He became physician to the Queen’s Hospital, where he was eventually appointed consulting physician, and to the Children’s Hospital, and professor of physiology at Queen’s College. He was actively concerned with the foundation of Birmingham University and was himself joint professor of medicine in the new University. He gave the Ingleby lecture in Birmingham in 1893 and examined for the Universities of Aberdeen and Glasgow. Carter was known to his profession chiefly by his authorship of The Elements of Practical Medicine, which, first published in 1881, reached an eleventh edition in 1920. This was frankly a brief and dogmatic, but compendious, epitome of medicine, designed to help students as an introduction to larger textbooks and as an aide-memoire for examinational purposes. Carter retired to Abingdon in 1913, but resumed an active life on the outbreak of war in the following year. He was at first physician to a hospital at Wimereux, then served on board the hospital ships Aquitania and Britannic in the Mediterranean, and finally was appointed consulting physician at Tidworth. He married, firstly, in 1885 Constance Mary, daughter of Albert C. Goode of Moseley, by whom he had one son, and, secondly, in 1890 Elizabeth Marian, daughter of W. H. King, solicitor, of Stourbridge, by whom he had a son and a daughter. He died at Abingdon.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1918; B.M.J., 1918]
(Volume IV, page 346)
<< Back to List