Lives of the fellows

Lawson Cape

b.1808 d.22 March 1877
MD Edin FRCP(1857)

Lawson Cape began his medical career as a student at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital. He also studied at Edinburgh before taking his degree there in 1833, and, after graduating, at Vienna, Berlin and Paris, for a period of three years. His training over, he joined his cousin, Sir Charles Locock, in his large obstetric practice. His chief public appointment was to the General Lying-In Hospital, Lambeth, which he served for forty years as physician and consulting physician. He was also, for a time, physician to the Royal Infirmary for Women and Children and lecturer on midwifery at St. Thomas’s Hospital. Cape was hospitable by nature, particularly to the young, and a competent linguist in French, German and Italian.

G H Brown

[Medical Times and Gazette, 1877]

(Volume IV, page 88)

<< Back to List