Lives of the fellows

Henry Johnstone Campbell

b.22 May 1859 d.4 July 1935
MB BS Lond(1887) MD MRCS FRCP(1898) JP

Henry Campbell was born in London, the third son of Peter Campbell of Erith and his wife Elizabeth Bourne, and educated at University College School. He was a student at Guy’s Hospital and also visited the medical schools of Berlin and Halle. After qualifying in 1887, he was house physician and then lecturer on biology at Guy’s, and in 1893 Hunterian professor at the Royal College of Surgeons. He became assistant physician to the East London Hospital for Children in 1891 and to the City of London Hospital for Diseases of the Chest two years later. In 1895, however, he left London to take up the appointment of physician to the Bradford Royal Infirmary. He also joined the staffs of the Victoria Hospital, Keighley, the Bingley Hospital, and the Bradford Eye and Ear Hospital. He became lecturer on forensic medicine at the Yorkshire College, and, on the foundation of Leeds University, professor of the same subject, afterwards succeeding to the chair of therapeutics and pharmacology. He examined for the Universities of London, Leeds, Liverpool and Sheffield. During the Great War he acted as physician to the Bradford War Hospital. After the Armistice, he retired to Dartmouth, where he took an active part in local public affairs. He was mayor of the town from 1923 to 1929 and a member of Devon county council after 1927. He was a fellow of the Zoological Society. Campbell married Mary, daughter of E. Sonnenschein, and had four daughters. He died in Dartmouth Cottage Hospital.

G H Brown

[Lancet, 1935; B.M.J., 1935]

(Volume IV, page 402)

<< Back to List