b.24 June 1921 d.2002? MB ChB Glasg(1945) MRCP(1956) FRCP(1976)
William Islay Kenyon was a consultant physician at Tameside District General Hospital, Ashton-under-Lyne. He was born in Glasgow, the son of Richard Kenyon, a general practitioner. His mother was a nursing sister. His brother, John Richard Kenyon (known as ‘Ian’), became a consultant vascular surgeon at St Mary’s Hospital, London. Kenyon attended Glasgow High School and then Glasgow University. He qualified MB ChB in 1945.
He was a house physician at Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow, and then joined the RAMC. He attended a course in tropical medicine at the Army Medical College, Millbank, and subsequently served in India until 1948.
On his return to the UK, he was a house surgeon at Stirling Royal Infirmary. From September 1948 to September 1949 he was an assistant in general practice in Eltham and Blackheath, London.
He then became a postgraduate student at Hammersmith Hospital, under John McMichael [Munk’s Roll, Vol.IX, p.341], John Goodwin [Munk’s Roll, Vol.XI, p.226], Sheila Sherlock [Munk’s Roll, Vol.XI, p.514] and E G L Bywaters [Munk’s Roll, Vol.XI, p.86], among others.
From May 1950 to April 1951, he was a senior house officer to Philip Hamill [Munk’s Roll, Vol.V, p.170] at St Leonard’s Hospital, Shoreditch. He also worked with Rose Simmonds, the pioneer of dietetics, who assisted him with the diabetic clinic and stimulated his interest in nutrition.
In April 1951 he became a resident medical officer at the Royal Free. From 1953 to 1955 he was a registrar in chest diseases at Finchley Chest Hospital and at Highlands Hospital, working under B A Butterworth. During this period he was also a lecturer in ophthalmology at the London Refraction Hospital. He then joined the National Heart Hospital as a resident medical officer under Paul Wood [Munk’s Roll, Vol.V, p.456].
From April 1956 to November 1957 he was a registrar in general medicine at Hillingdon Hospital. He then became a senior registrar in general medicine at the West London Hospital under Eric Hudson [Munk’s Roll, Vol.IX, p.248] and Alan Morton Gill [Munk’s Roll, Vol.VII, p.185]. He was subsequently appointed to his post at Tameside District General Hospital, where his duties included teaching undergraduate students from Manchester University.
Outside medicine he enjoyed horticulture, ballroom dancing, jazz music, walking and fly fishing.
In 1952 he married Nuala Winefred Gilmore, a medical graduate and a specialist in community health. They had two sons and a daughter.
[Plarr’s Lives of the Royal College of Surgeons. Kenyon, John Richard http://livesonline.rcseng.ac.uk/biogs/E000087b.htm]
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List