b.13 February 1924 d.August 2011
BM BCh Oxon(1947) MRCP(1949) PhD Lond(1953) FRCP(1971) DM
Henry Martin Lloyd was physician in charge of in-patients and of the metabolic clinic at the Royal Brisbane Hospital. He was born in Newport, Monmouthshire. His father, David John Lloyd, was headmaster of a secondary school; his mother, Olwen Lloyd née Beynon, was the daughter of a minister of religion. His uncle, William Ernest Lloyd [Munk’s Roll, Vol.VI, p.297], was a physician at the Brompton Hospital. Lloyd was educated at the Leys School in Cambridge, Oriel College, Oxford University, and then St Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical School. He qualified in 1947.
From 1947 to 1948 he was a house physician at St Bartholomew’s Hospital. He continued at Barts for much of his subsequent training. He was a demonstrator in applied pharmacology there and then a registrar and senior registrar in medicine. From 1957 to 1958 he was an assistant in the medical unit at University College Hospital. He went back to Barts as an assistant in the medical unit. In 1953 he was a fellow in medicine at Harvard University, Massachusetts General Hospital.
From 1959 he was physician in charge of the in-patients and physician to the metabolic clinic at the Royal Brisbane Hospital. From 1959 to 1961 he was a senior lecturer in medicine at the University of Queensland, becoming a reader in medicine in 1962.
Outside medicine, he was interested in art, particularly oil painting, and music.
In 1954 he married Denise Odette Eugénie Girod, the daughter of a businessman.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List