b.23 March 1901 d.?
MB BS Punjab DCH Lond MRCP Edin MRCP FRCP Edin FRCP(1963)
Sujata Chaudhuri was professor of medicine and first physician at Lady Hardinge Medical College, New Delhi, India. She was born in Sylhet in 1901, the daughter of Raj Chandra Chaudhuri, a magistrate, and Hamanta Kumari Chaudhuri née Roy. She was educated at a convent school in Lahore and then at Lady Hardinge Medical College in New Delhi, which had been set up in 1914 as a medical school for women.
She was a house physician at the Lady Dufferin Hospital for Women, and then an assistant to the professor of medicine and clinical assistant at the Lady Hardinge Medical College Hospital from 1929 to 1936.
From 1936 to 1950 she worked for the Women’s Medical Service of India. She was a lecturer in medicine and pharmacology at the Women’s Medical School in Agra from 1936 to 1937, and a professor of pharmacology and second physician at the Lady Hardinge Medical College from 1938 to 1940. From 1940 to 1951 she was professor of medicine and first physician at Lady Hardinge Medical College.
She organised rural medical services and family centres in villages around Delhi and in the slums of the city from 1951 to 1960, and was an organiser of the All India Women’s Reserve Medical Unit. During the Second World War she organised medical welfare projects during the Bengal famine. After the Partition of India in 1947 she helped with the rehabilitation of refugees in West Punjab.
Outside medicine, she enjoyed golf, photography and music, in particular the violin. She was unmarried.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List