Lives of the fellows

Michael Dulake

b.18 May 1928 d.21 September 2016
MRCS LRCP(1952) MB BChir Cantab(1952) MRCP(1959) FRCP(1973)

Michael Dulake was a consultant physician with a special interest in cardiology at St James’ Hospital, Balham, London. He was born in Reigate, Surrey. His father, Lawrence Dulake, was a general practitioner-surgeon; his mother, Nina Lettice Dix Dulake née Robertson was a medical ophthalmologist and the daughter of Charles Kay Robertson, a portrait painter. His brother, Christopher, became a pathologist. Dulake was educated at Hillside, Reigate and then Epsom College. He went on to study at Clare College, Cambridge and King’s College Hospital, qualifying in 1952 with the Legg prize in surgery, the Todd prize in medicine and class prizes in pathology and forensic medicine.

He held junior posts at King’s College Hospital and then carried out his National Service from 1953 to 1955. In Malaya, he was a regimental medical officer for 2/7 Gurkha Rifles and a clinical officer in medicine at the British Military Hospital, Kinrara, where he was mentioned in despatches. He later became a clinical offier in medicine at 22 General Hospital, Hong Kong.

On his return to the UK, he was a house surgeon at Redhill County Hospital and at the Brompton Hospital. He then returned to King’s College Hospital as a senior house officer in the diabetic department. From 1957 to 1960 he was a registrar at St Giles’ Hospital, Camberwell and then, from 1960 to 1962, a registrar in cardiology at the Brompton Hospital, working with Paul Wood [Munk’s Roll, Vol.V, p.456] and Ronald Valentine Gibson [Munk’s Roll, Vol.VII, p.183]. From 1962 to 1967 he was a registrar and subsequently a senior registrar and tutor in medicine to John Forrest Goodwin [Munk’s Roll, Vol.XI, p.226] at Hammersmith Hospital and the Postgraduate Medical School of London. During this time, he spent a year as a research fellow in cardiology at the Cincinnati Children’s Hospital, Ohio, USA.

In November 1967 he was appointed as a whole time consultant physician with a special interest in cardiology at St James’ Hospital, Balham and an honorary cardiologist at St George’s, St Thomas’, St Helier and St James’ hospitals. From 1972, he was also a recognised teacher at St George’s Hospital Medical School. He was chairman of the medical staff committee at St James’ from April 1971 to the end of March 1973.

He was a member of the Catholic medical organisation, the St Luke, Cosmas and Damian Society.

Outside medicine he enjoyed dinghy sailing, gardening, classical music and rifle shooting (he won a half blue at Cambridge in 1949).

In 1958 he married Maureen Anne Tudor, who became the principal medical officer at the Royal Hospital and Home for Incurables, Putney. They had one son (Martin), one daughter (Anne) and four grandchildren.

RCP editor

[Index of Old Epsomian Biographies between 1940 and 1962 http://archive.epsomcollege.org.uk/1940-1962/OE_Biographies/1940-1962.pdf – accessed 28 November 2018]

(Volume XII, page web)

<< Back to List