b.1817-18 d.20 August 1906
LRCS Edin(1839) MD Glasg(1843) FRCP(1873)
John Cameron was born at Reigate and spent much of his youth in the Pyrenees. He studied medicine at Dublin and Glasgow, taking the Edinburgh Licence in 1839 and the Glasgow M.D. degree in 1843. He settled in Liverpool in 1845 and was soon occupied with the severe typhus outbreak of 1847. He obtained an early appointment at the South Dispensary, but his principal connection was with the Royal Southern Hospital, for which he acted as physician from 1848 till his retirement with consulting rank in 1900. He lectured first on medical jurisprudence and then on the practice of medicine at the Royal Infirmary School of Medicine. Cameron was a man of excitable temperament, yet a shrewd clinical observer. He died at Liverpool, having been a member of the city’s Medical Institution for over sixty years.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1906; B.M.J., 1906; Presidential Address to R.C.P., 1907, 17]
(Volume IV, page 210)
<< Back to List