b. 29 June 1924 d.28 October 2012
MB BS Lond(1948) MRCS LRCP(1948) MD(1953) MRCPath(1964) FRCPath(1971) MRCP(1977) FRCP(1982)
William Jones Williams was a consultant pathologist at Llandough Hospital, Penarth, and an honorary clinical teacher at the Welsh National School of Medicine, Cardiff. He was born in Pwllheli, the son of Huw Williams, a master draper. He was educated at Pwllheli Grammar School and then went on to study medicine at Middlesex Hospital Medical School. He qualified in 1948.
He was an assistant lecturer at the Bland Sutton Institute of Pathology at Middlesex Hospital Medical School, and then an assistant lecturer and subsequently a lecturer in pathology at the Welsh National School of Medicine. From 1954 to 1955 he was an American-British exchange fellow at the British Empire Cancer Campaign.
From 1959 to 1963 he was a consultant pathologist at the Mount Vernon Hospital, Northwood. He then returned to Wales, as a senior lecturer and then reader at the Welsh National School of Medicine. From 1977 he was a consultant pathologist at Llandough Hospital.
He was a postgraduate adviser to the Royal College of Pathologists, and from 1983 to 1984 president of the Association of Clinical Pathologists of Great Britain and Ireland. He wrote papers on sarcoidosis, the pathology of granulomas and tumours, among other topics.
Outside medicine, he was interested in sailing: he was commodore of the New Quay Yacht Club, Dyfed.
In 1958 he married Anne Rosemary Evans, the daughter of a barrister. They had two sons and one daughter.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List