Lives of the fellows

Philip Edward Jones

b.5 October 1945 d.22 December 2015
MB ChB Birm(1968) MRCP(1972) MSc Lond(1976) MD Birm(1981) FRCP(1989)

Philip Edward Jones (known as Phil) was a consultant physician in general medicine and gastroenterology at Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester. He was born in Manchester, the son of Edward Thomas Jones, a textile representative, and Stella Mary Jones. Jones came from a medical family: his mother was a physician; his maternal grandfather was a general practitioner (as was his brother) and his sister became a consultant anaesthetist. Jones attended Manchester Grammar School and then studied medicine at Birmingham University and qualified in 1968.

He was a house physician and house surgeon at Dudley Road Hospital, Birmingham. From 1972 to 1974 he was a registrar at University College Hospital, London and Whittington Hospital. He then went to Hammersmith Hospital, where he carried out research with Christopher Booth [Munk’s Roll, Vol.XII, web]. During this period, he wrote papers on coeliac disease and other aspects of malabsorption. He was subsequently a senior registrar at Manchester Royal Infirmary.

In July 1982 he was appointed as a consultant general physician and gastroenterologist at Wythenshawe Hospital in south Manchester, and as an honorary associate lecturer in medicine at the University of Manchester.

During the 1990s he was medical director of Wythenshawe Hospital for three years. He was also president of the section of medicine of Manchester Medical Society.

Outside medicine he enjoyed swimming, walking and music. In 1972 he married Bernadette. They had three daughters and a granddaughter.

RCP editor

[BMJ 2016 353 2538 www.bmj.com/content/353/bmj.i2538 – accessed 23 December 2017]

(Volume XII, page web)

<< Back to List