b.1916? d.1 May 2012
MB BS Durham(1939) MD(1942) MRCP(1945) DCH(1949) FRCP(1970)
Manual (‘Mannie’) Anderson was a consultant physician at the Ingham Infirmary and the General Hospital, South Shields. He studied medicine at Durham University and qualified in 1939. He did house jobs at the Sheriff Hill Infectious Diseases Hospital in Gateshead and then became senior medical registrar at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, also in Gateshead. From 1946 to 1947, he was a British Medical Association research scholar.
Appointed a consultant cardiologist at the Ingham Infirmary and South Shields General Hospital, he was credited with being responsible for introducing modern techniques of coronary care to the region.
A talented painter, he was a fellow of the Royal Society of Art and, at one time, several of his paintings were hung in the South Shields hospitals. Also a talented musician, he had a wide selection of other interests including archaeology. For many years he was president of the Friends of the South Shields Museum and Art Gallery, and, after his death, a series of eponymous lectures was founded to be held annually at the museum in his honour.
When he died, aged 96, he was survived by his family which then included his eldest daughter, Sylvia Rowlands, and six grandchildren.
[South Shields Gazette www.shieldsgazette.com/what-s-on/lectures-to-celebrate-life-of-s-tyne-doctor-1-5075386 - accessed 1 November 2015]
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List