b.9 April 1924 d.26 May 2005
MB BS(1946) MRACP(1952) MRCP Lond(1954) FRACP(1965) FRCP(1975)
Ian was educated at Sydney High School and the University of Sydney where he graduated in medicine in 1946 with honours. His initial resident training was affected and delayed by illness. He had registrar appointments at Sydney Hospital and Royal North Shore Hospital (RNSH) having passed the MRACP exam in 1952.
In 1954, having attained his MRCP, he went to Boston to work with Drs Astwood and Raven. In 1957 he returned to RNSH to work with Drs Rundle and Oddie where he made contributions to the rational use of radioiodine in thyroid disease and medical management of thyroid eye disease.
He was subsequently appointed as an HMO at RNSH where he continued his clinical activities with emphasis on endocrinology. At RNSH he was involved in teaching undergraduate students as well as postgraduate trainees in endocrinology. He retired from the active staff in 1985.
Ian was a foundation member of the Endocrine Society and was secretary treasurer from 1962 to 1964. He was subsequently made an honorary life member of the Society and also served on the Accreditation Decisions Review Committee and the Mental Health Classification and Service Cost Classification.
Ian had a keen interest in sailing, art, history and philosophy. He is survived by his wife, Joan, whom he met when she was an intern in his team at RNSH, two sons and a daughter, and nine grandchildren.
[Reproduced, with permission, from the Royal Australasian College of Physicians’ College Roll]
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List