Lives of the fellows

Douglas Arthur Lawrence Watt

b.6 March 1933 d.9 February 2015
MB ChB Glasg(1956) DObst RCOG(1958) FRFPS Glasg(1959) MRCP(1961) MRCP Edin(1962) FRCP Glasg(1972) FRCP Edin(1974) FRCP(1975)

Douglas Arthur Lawrence Watt was a consultant physician at the Royal Preston Hospital. He was born in Glasgow, the son of Douglas Arthur Lawrence Watt, a clerk. He was educated at Hillhead High School in Glasgow and then went on to study medicine at Glasgow University, qualifying in 1956. As a student, he rowed for his university.

Between 1956 and 1958, he was a house physician at the Western Infirmary, Glasgow, and then a house surgeon at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children and the Glasgow Royal Maternity and Women’s Hospital. From 1958 to 1965, he was a senior house officer at the Western Infirmary and subsequently a registrar at the Western Infirmary and the Royal Alexandra Infirmary in Paisley. From 1965 to 1970, he was a senior registrar at Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow. In 1970 he was appointed as a consultant physician at Preston. He retired in March 1998.

He was a council member of the Hospital Consultants and Specialists Association and of the British Association for Cardiac Rehabilitation, medical director of the Chorley and South Ribble NHS Trust (from 1993 to 1998) and of Heartbeat and the Preston Cardiac Rehabilitation Programme, and a consultant medical officer for Guardian Royal Exchange Life Assurance Society. He was also chairman of the local Leukaemia Research Fund. For 27 years, he was chairman of the Grimsargh Village Community Association.

In 1963 he married Helen Christine Lawson, the daughter of a shepherd. They had two children, one of whom was a son, Kenneth.

RCP editor

(Volume XII, page web)

<< Back to List