b.19 June 1923 d.27 October 2013
OBE(1971) BM BCh Oxon(1953) MRCP(1957) FRCP(1973)
Thomas Hugh Hugh-Davies was a consultant paediatrician at Ealing and Perivale hospitals. He was born in Altrincham, Cheshire. His father, Edward Hamer Hughes-Davies, was a clerk in holy orders. His mother, Emma Hughes-Davies née Evans, was the daughter of a farmer. He was educated at Queen’s College, Taunton, and then Marlborough College.
During the Second World War he worked for the Anglo Iranian Oil Company Research Laboratories, Sunbury-on-Thames, and Abadan Refinery, Iran. In 1947 he went on to study medicine at Balliol College, Oxford. He gained his BM BCh in 1953.
He was a house physician and then a house surgeon at the Radcliffe Infirmary. In 1955 he spent a year on a Fulbright scholarship as a resident at the Sloan Kettering and Memorial Hospital, New York. On his return to the UK, he was a junior registrar at St Bartholomew’s Hospital. He was then a house physician at Hammersmith Hospital. From 1958 he was a lecturer in child health at Oxford University Medical School and, from 1961, a senior registrar at the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street.
In 1963 he was appointed as a consultant paediatrician for the Wessex Regional Board, including Salisbury, Southampton and, until 1969, Winchester. From 1970 to 1971 he was a visiting professor in paediatrics at the University of Saigon and leader of the British medical team at the Children’s Hospital, Saigon. From 1971 he was an honorary associate physician at Great Ormond Street. He subsequently became a consultant at Ealing and Perivale hospitals.
In 1971 he was awarded an OBE.
In 1959 he married Doreen Anne Reekie, the daughter of a soldier. They had three sons and a daughter.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List