b.24 June 1863 d.23 October 1937
MB Cantab(1891) MD MRCS FRCP(1906) JP
F. W. Burton, who assumed the additional surname of Fanning in 1891, was born at Chertsey, the son of Edward Frederick Burton, solicitor, and Fanny, daughter of W. Fanning. He went to school in Malvern and at Winchester. He studied medicine first at University College, London, where he qualified in 1885 and held house appointments in the Hospital. Then, while acting as house physician at Addenbrcoke’s Hospital, he continued his studies at St. John’s College, Cambridge, where he graduated as M.B. in 1891. In this same year he was elected physician to the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital and began to practise as a consultant in Norwich. Frequent visits to Davos, where he was influenced by the work cf W. R. Huggard, gave him an interest in the open-air treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis, and in 1895 he began to put it into practice himself at Cromer Convalescent Home. Four years later, with his cousin W. J. Fanning, he opened the Mundesley Sanatorium, the first specially designed institution of its kind in England, which incorporated revolving shelters of their design. In 1903 he founded the Kelling Sanatorium near Cromer, for nonpaying patients, which during his life-time expanded from a capacity of ten beds to one of 150 beds. He published in 1905 an account of The Open Air Treatment of Pulmonary Tuberculosis. Burton-Fanning was also on the staff of the Jenny Lind Infirmary for Sick Children,and during the Great War served, first, as a major with the 1st Eastern General Hospital and, secondly, as medical officer in charge of the 55th General Hospital in France, with the rank of lieutenant-colonel. He retired from the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, as its consulting physician, in 1928, but continued to practise for the remainder of his life. He was a man of commonsense and sympathy whose understanding of the psychological factor in illness brought him the confidences of many patients. He married in 1893 Christa-bel, daughter of W. Cooper-Brown, and had two sons and two daughters.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1937; B.M.J., 1937; Al.Cantab., I, 468; Biog. Details left by Dr. Burton-Fanning, in R.C.P. Library]
(Volume IV, page 472)
<< Back to List