b.1846 d.16 August 1915
BSc Vict BA Cantab(1869) MB(1874) MD MD Durh MRCS FRCP(1881)
David Lees was born in Manchester and educated at Owens College and at Trinity College, Cambridge, where, a classical scholar, he graduated in 1869 with first-class honours in mathematics and natural sciences and won the Carus prize for Greek and divinity. He studied medicine at Guy’s Hospital and Vienna, taking his M.B. degree in 1874, and served in house appointments at Guy’s and the Hospital for Sick Children. He then returned to Owens College to teach, but in 1876 settled in London, on obtaining the appointment of assistant physician at Great Ormond Street, where fourteen years later he became full physician. From 1877 to 1880 he was also assistant physician to Charing Cross Hospital, resigning on being elected to the same post at St. Mary’s, where he was made full physician in 1887 and lectured on materia medica and medicine, retiring to the consulting staff in 1907. He examined in medicine for Victoria, Durham and Cambridge Universities and for the Conjoint Board. A Censor of the Royal College of Physicians, he delivered the Bradshaw Lecture in 1912. He was particularly interested in problems of rheumatic fever and rheumatism and in the early diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary tuberculosis. He had a firm belief in the value of bleeding in certain cases, long after its practice had been almost entirely abandoned. He was a man of wide culture, devoted to the classics and the study of early civilisations, and fond of travel. He died in London.
G H Brown
[Lancet, 1915; B.M.J., 1915; Presidential Address to R.C.P., 1916, 18]
(Volume IV, page 282)
<< Back to List