b.11 June 1918 d.7 April 2012
MB ChB Edin(1941) MRCP Edin(1950) MRCP(1952) FRCP Edin(1971) FRCP(1973)
John Anthony Clark (‘Tony’) Wilson was a consultant gastroenterologist at the Hope Hospital, Salford and the Salford Royal Hospital. Born in London, he was the son of John Clark Wilson, a medical practitioner, and his wife Margaret née Youngson whose father, John Whyte Youngson, was a minister in the Church of Scotland and a missionary. Educated at Selwyn House Preparatory School and University College School, he studied medicine at Edinburgh University and the Royal Infirmary.
Qualifying in 1941, he did house jobs at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh for a year before enlisting in the Royal Air Force and serving as a flight lieutenant from 1942 to 1946. During this time, he spent two years in the Far East stationed in Burma and Indo-China.
On demobilisation he re-commenced house jobs, working at the Astley Ainslie Hospital in Edinburgh and then at the King George V Hospital in London. From 1948 to 1949 he was a medical registrar at the Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, at which time he was beginning to specialise in gastroenterology, and then, from 1950 to 1952, senior medical registrar at Bedford General Hospital. He then spent some months at the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street, and, in June 1953, moved to the North Staffordshire Royal Infirmary as a senior medical registrar, where he stayed for three years. Following this, he moved to Manchester Royal Infirmary and was there from May 1956 to January 1960.
Appointed consultant physician to the Salford Hospital group in 1960, he had duties at the Hope Hospital and Salford Royal Hospital. While there he also maintained a busy clinical practice and published several scientific papers on gastroenterological topics such as the treatment of cirrhosis and gastric ulcer. A member of the British Society of Gastroenterology, he was also active in the Manchester-Edinburgh Society and served a term as its president. After retiring from the NHS in 1984 he continued to practice as a consultant clinician at St Ann’s Hospice, Little Hulton for the next two years.
When a student he had been a keen cross country runner. Later he enjoyed the study of palaeontology and collected and polished stones.
In 1956 he married Frances Olwen (‘Olwen’) née Thomas whose father, Garfield Thomas was a biochemist. Olwen was also medically qualified and she survived him together with their children, Ann, Ian and Joy, nine grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
[BMJ 2012 345 7657 http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e7657 - accessed 1 November 2015]
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List