Lives of the fellows

Kenneth Newton Lloyd

b.21 November 1913 d.1 January 2012
MB BS Lond(1938) MRCS LRCP(1938) MRCP(1947) FRCP(1969)

Kenneth Lloyd was a pioneer of physical medicine and rheumatology in Wales, successfully creating the first department in the principality to specialise in the treatment of rheumatic diseases. He was born in London, the second of five sons of Ernest Arthur Charles Lloyd, a barrister, and Grace Lloyd née Parkes, the daughter of a director. He was educated at Mill Hill School, and then studied medicine at the London Hospital, graduating in 1938.

He completed house jobs at the London Hospital before the defeat at Dunkirk prompted him to volunteer for the RAF. He was appointed as a medical officer at RAF Tangmere in West Sussex, where he remained throughout the Battle of Britain. In 1941, he was posted to North Africa at the time of Rommel’s campaign. He remained there for the next two and a half years, eventually becoming a squadron leader and second-in-command of the RAF hospital in Cairo.

Following his demobilisation, he completed his medical training at the London Hospital as a registrar and then a senior registrar. He gained his MRCP in 1947. In 1949 he was appointed as physician-in-charge of the physical medicine department at the United Cardiff Hospitals (Cardiff Royal Infirmary and Llandough Hospital) and lecturer in physical medicine at the Welsh National School of Medicine. In addition to supervising the development of hospital rehabilitation services, he was also involved with the school of physiotherapy. He fought successfully for a new institute with shared facilities for the training of health care professionals, and in 1974 the first combined training institute opened at the University of Wales in Cardiff.

He also saw the need for the development of a separate specialty of rheumatology. In 1972, he was appointed as a consultant rheumatologist to the newly-built University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff. He also encouraged the development of the first academic rheumatology unit in Wales, established at Llandough Hospital in 1974.

He was a founder-member and chairman of the Cardiff branch of the Arthritis and Rheumatism Council (now Arthritis Research UK) and a founder-member and chairman of the South Wales and South West Rheumatology Club. A stalwart member of the Cardiff Medical Society, he was also for many years the only rheumatologist in the Society of Physicians in Wales.

At a national level, Ken was a member of the council of the British Association for Rheumatology and Rehabilitation, and treasurer from 1962 to 1965. He was also actively involved in the rheumatology and rehabilitation section of the Royal Society of Medicine, serving as council member, secretary and president, before being made an honorary member in 1985.

He was elected FRCP in 1969. In 1977, in recognition of his considerable contributions to rheumatology, he was invited by the Heberden Society to give the Heberden round at the Welsh National School of Medicine. He was also made a life member of the British Society for Rheumatology.

Ken retired in 1979, after 30 years as an NHS consultant, knowing that he had established a legacy with solid foundations for the future development of rheumatology throughout Wales.

Outside medicine, Ken had a lifelong passion for sport. He represented his school at rugby and athletics. At medical school, because of the pressure of exams, he had to decline an invitation to train to represent Great Britain in the quarter-mile hurdles at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. However, he won numerous trophies at the University of London Athletics Club and at the White City Stadium championships. In 1958 he was appointed as a medical adviser for the British Empire and Commonwealth Games in Cardiff. He subsequently served as a medical officer for the Welsh team at the Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh in 1970, Christchurch in New Zealand in 1974, and in Edmonton in Canada in 1978.

He was also a passionate sailor. He and his wife would sail to the Pembrokeshire coast, the Isles of Scilly and to south west Ireland. In retirement he became commodore of Barry Yacht Club and continued to race regularly. Undeterred by failing eyesight due to macular degeneration, Ken competed in the annual Bristol Channel Old Sea Dogs Race until his 87th year.

He married Phyllis Maude Dungar, the daughter of a farmer, in 1941. They had a son and a daughter. Following his wife’s death in 1995, Ken emigrated to Melbourne in 2000 to be looked after by his daughter. He then moved into a nursing home in 2008, where he was able to maintain his interest in nature, history, music and sport. He died at the age of 98 from bronchopneumonia.

John Jessop
George Nuki

(Volume XII, page web)

<< Back to List