b.29 July 1924 d.2011?
BA Cantab(1945) MB BChir(1948) MRCP(1952) MD(1959) FRCP(1972)
Hywel Geoffrey Lloyd Lloyd-Thomas was a consultant physician and cardiologist at St Andrew’s, Poplar and Queen Mary’s hospitals, in East London. He was born in Ammanford, Carmarthenshire, where his father, David James, was a colliery agent and estate owner and his mother, Annie Laura née Lloyd, was the daughter of a farmer, John Lloyd. Educated at Craig-y-Nos primary and then Bishop Gore School, he studied medicine at Trinity College, Cambridge University and the London Hospital.
After qualifying in 1948, he did house jobs at the London and Hammersmith hospitals and then spent three years as a registrar at University College Hospital from 1952 to 1955. He then returned to the London for another seven years, first as senior registrar and then as senior assistant in the medical unit. In 1962 he was appointed a consultant physician at St Andrew’s and Poplar hospitals and, two years later also became a consultant physician and cardiologist at Queen Mary’s.
He became chairman of the Area Medical Advisory Committee for the City and East London Area Health Authority and an honorary lecturer at the London Hospital Medical College. A fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine, he was also a member of the British Cardiac Society. He published papers on the diagnosis of ischaemic heart disease and the effects of exercise on electrocardiogram readings.
Outside medicine, he enjoyed listening to music and foreign travel.
In 1948 he married Ruth Margery née Bower, she was the daughter of Sir Frank Bower, who was a company director and author of books on taxation. They had one son. Ruth also graduated in medicine from Cambridge and became a senior medical officer to the civil service medical advisory service. His younger brother, John Howard Lloyd Lloyd-Thomas, was also a Cambridge medical graduate who became a GP in Romford in practice with his wife, Joyce Foulds Lloyd Lloyd-Thomas.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List