b.11 November 1938 d.11 December 2010
MB BS Lond(1963) MRCP(1971) FRCP(1989)
Iain Martin Morrison of Ruchdi was a consultant physician at St Richard’s Hospital, Chichester, and chief of Clan Morrison. Born in Bolton, Lancashire, he was the son of John Morrison of Ruchdi, an eye surgeon who practised in Hong Kong, and his wife, Dorothy Mary née Swan. Educated at Cheltenham College, he studied medicine at St Thomas’s Hospital Medical School, qualifying in 1963.
He did house jobs at St James’ Hospital, Balham in 1970 and St Thomas’ Hospital the following year. In 1972, he was a senior registrar at the Brompton Hospital and also at St James’. Four years later, he joined the staff of St Richards’s Hospital in Chichester and King Edward VII Hospital in Midhurst as a consultant physician, and also became an honorary senior lecturer at Charing Cross Hospital. He was a fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine.
A member of the peerage, he was appointed chief of Clan Morrison in succession to his father in 1974. He was also president of the West Sussex Disabled Men’s Club in 1976
At St Thomas’s he had been captain of tennis. He also enjoyed windsurfing, house building and visiting the Outer Hebrides.
In 1964 he married Caroline Elizabeth née Lowe and they had two children, Fiona and John Ruairdh (‘Ru’). They divorced in 1983, and, in 1986, he married Alison Frances Ann née Hughes, a fellow medical practitioner. They had two children, Matthew Iain and Catriona Sarah.
When he died his son Ru, also medically qualified, became chief of the clan.
[The peerage www.thepeerage.com/p65419.htm - accessed 2 July 2015]
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List