b.21 March 1920 d.14 August 2009
MB BS Lond(1942) MRCS LRCP(1942) MRCP(1948) MD(1949) FRCP(1972)
Philip Arnold was a consultant physician in geriatrics to the Bournemouth and East Dorset Group of Hospitals. Born in Bromley, Kent, he was the son of Richard Arnold, a bank official, and his wife, Mary Lilian née Dannat, whose father, George, was a provision merchant.
Educated at the City of London School, he studied medicine at London University and University College Hospital (UCH). Immediately after qualifying in 1942, he was house surgeon at St Richard's Hospital in Chichester for 6 months before joining the RNVR as a temporary surgeon-lieutenant in March 1943.
When he was demobilised in May 1946, he returned to UCH to do various house jobs. Appointed consultant geriatrician to the Aylesbury / High Wycombe area hospitals and the Buckinghamshire County Council in 1953, he remained there for six years. In November 1959 he moved to Poole as consultant physician in geriatrics to the Bournemouth and East Dorset group of hospitals.
He published papers on the effects of pentamethonium iodide in the Lancet and, latterly, on the care of the elderly. A fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine, he was also honorary secretary of the British Geriatrics Society.
Sailing was his favourite pastime.
In 1951, he married Sheila née Turner, whose father, Adam Annand Turner, was a medical officer of health. They had three sons, Richard, Ian and Tom, and two daughters, Jane and Anne. When he died, Sheila and their children survived him, together with 11 grandchildren.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List