b.5 December 1919 d.19 July 2008
MB BS Lond(1942) MRCS LRCP(1942) MRCP(1948) MD(1950) FRCP(1970)
Richard Leonard Ward was a consultant physician in Blackburn. Born in London, he was the son of William Charles Forsythe Ward, a civil servant, and his wife, Ethelwynne Jessie née Morelli, the daughter of Albert, a musician. Educated at Ardingly School, he studied medicine at London University and St Mary's Hospital. After qualifying in 1942, he did house jobs with the Emergency Medical Service at Harefield County Hospital. Two years later he joined the RAMC and served in India with the rank of major until 1946.
On demobilisation he returned to St Mary's as a registrar, moving to Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton two years later. In 1950 he joined the staff of Harefield Hospital and, two years later, was appointed a consultant physician to the Blackburn Hospital group. Later in his career he also became a tutor to the postgraduate medical students at the hospital.
He wrote several papers on rheumatoid diseases, myocardial toxoplasmosis and acute intermittent porphyria.
Favourite sports were squash, tennis and cricket, and he also enjoyed playing bridge.
In 1944 he married Margret Elizabeth (‘Peggy’), who was the daughter of Neville Hinwood, an architect. Peggy predeceased him and he was survived by their three daughters, Felicity, Elizabeth and Melanie, and his grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List