b.14 January 1921 d.24 May 2008
BA Oxon(1942) BM BCh(1943) MRCP(1946) DM(1953) FRCP(1968)
Frederick James Flint was a consultant physician in Sheffield. Born in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, he was the son of Horace Lance Flint, a doctor, and his wife Frances Alice née Woods, who was the daughter of Francis H Woods, a clergyman. Educated at Shrewsbury School, he studied medicine at St John's College, Oxford and the Radcliffe Infirmary.
After qualifying in 1943, he did house jobs at the Royal West Sussex Hospital, Chichester and the City General Hospital, York. Moving to Sheffield in 1946, he spent four years as a senior registrar at the Royal Infirmary and then joined the City General Hospital as senior medical registrar. In 1954 he was appointed a consultant physician at the City General (now the Northern General) and honorary lecturer in medicine to the University of Sheffield, where he also acted as an internal examiner.
Among others, he published papers on heart failure, confusion in the elderly and stomach ulcers. With P Grech he wrote 'Pyloric regurgitation and gastric ulcer' (Gut, 1970, 11, 735-7). A member of the British Society of Gastroenterology, he was also a member of the advisory committee in general medicine of the Sheffield Regional Hospital Board from 1963 and, in 1968, was vice president of the Sheffield Medico-Chirurgical Society.
Outside medicine, he enjoyed golf, fell walking and gardening.
In 1945 he married Freda Mabel née Goatly, whoser father, Frederick James, was in the export business. Freda predeceased him and he was survived by their children, Julia, Peter and Robert, grandchildren James and Charlotte, and daughter-in-law, Janet.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List