b.19 February 1917 d.29 October 2006
MB BS Lond(1940) MD(1946) DCH(1947) FRCP(1968)
David Williamson was a consultant paediatrician in Southampton. He was born in Sutton, Surrey, into a medical family. His father, David James Williamson, was a physician in the Ministry of Health. His mother, Letitia Constance Joan Williamson née Bomford was the daughter of a schoolmaster. He was educated at Tyttenhanger Lodge School in Seaford and Blundell’s, and then went on to study at St Bartholomew’s Hospital Medical School in London, qualifying in 1940.
He was a house physician and a chief assistant at Bart’s and, in 1943, joined the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve as a surgeon lieutenant. He served on destroyers supporting the North Atlantic convoys and was then a medical specialist in Colombo.
Following his demobilisation, he decided to specialise in paediatrics. He was a casualty physician, medical registrar and pathologist at Great Ormond Street Hospital. In 1947 he gained his diploma in child health.
In 1950 he became a consultant paediatrician at Southampton Children’s Hospital. At Southampton he helped modernise the hospital, and pioneered the use of combined and multidisciplinary clinics.
Outside medicine, he was interested in sailing and natural history. He also travelled extensively. He wrote a history of Southampton Children’s Hospital, and books on the mariners of ancient Wessex and on the early Christian church.
In 1949 he married Elspeth Mary Frith, a doctor, and the daughter of a major general. They had two sons and two daughters.
[Brit.med.J., 2007 334 701]
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List