b.10 January 1916 d.30 June 2004
BA Dublin(1937) MB BCh BAO(1939) MD(1941) MRCPI(1941) FRCPI(1960) MRCP(1968) FRCP(1974)
John Donald Whiteside, known as ‘Paddy’, was a consultant general physician and cardiologist at St Richard’s Hospital, Chichester, and King Edward VII Hospital, Midhurst. He was born in Dublin, the son of George Donald Whiteside, a company secretary, and Alice née Chambers, the daughter of a veterinary surgeon. He was educated at Rathgar School and then Kilkenny College. He went on to study medicine at Trinity College, Dublin, carrying out his clinical studies at Sir Patrick Duns Hospital. He qualified in 1939 with honours in medicine and midwifery. While he was a student he also gained the O’Sullivan memorial scholarship, the Begley studentship and the Haughton clinical medal and prize.
He went on to hold junior posts at Sir Patrick Duns Hospital from 1939 to 1941. In 1942 he was a resident medical officer at the Walton Hospital, Liverpool, and in 1943 he was a resident medical officer at the North Middlesex Hospital in London.
He joined the RAF towards the end of the Second World War, as a flight lieutenant and squadron leader.
Following demobilisation he was appointed as a consultant physician at St Richards’s Hospital, Chichester, where he created a coronary care unit and diagnostic cardiac service. He also helped develop the Aldingbourne Centre for people with learning disabilities.
At the time of his election to the fellowship of the RCP he listed country pursuits and local history as his interests. He married Elsa De Groote, whom he met during the war, in 1949. They had two sons, a daughter and five grandchildren.
[Brit.med.J.,2004 329 1291]
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List