b.8 July 1932 d.12 January 2004
MB BS Durham(1955) MRCP(1958) MD Malaya(1961) FRCP(1972)
Donald Robert Smith was a consultant cardiologist at the General Infirmary in Leeds and medical director of the Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust from 1990 to 1993. He was born in North Shields, in what was then Northumberland. His father, Robert Thomas Smith, was a draughtsman. His mother was Doris Louise née Barker, the daughter of a railway engineer. He was educated at Tynemouth Grammar School and then went on to study medicine at Durham. He qualified in 1955.
He held junior posts at the Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle, and then, in 1958, joined the Royal Army Medical Corps, serving in the Far East. During this period he completed his MD thesis on anaemia.
In 1961 he returned to the UK, firstly as a house physician at Hammersmith Hospital, London, and then as a registrar in the cardiology department under J F Goodwin [Munk’s Roll, Vol.XI, p.226].
In 1964 he was appointed as a clinical lecturer to the University of Leeds. In 1967 he became a consultant cardiologist to the United Leeds Hospitals Board and Leeds Regional Hospital Board.
He was active in the strategic planning and management of the Leeds hospitals. He was a member of the Leeds Western District Health Authority for 10 years. In 1990 he was appointed as the first medical director of the newly formed United Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust, which included the Leeds General Infirmary, Wharfedale and Chapel Allerton hospitals.
Outside medicine, he enjoyed golf, sailing, gardening, rugby, DIY and model-making. He met his wife Molly née Lodge at school. They married in 1956, the year after he qualified, and had a son and two daughters. He died following a ruptured aortic aneurysm.
[Brit.med.J., 2004 328 1382]
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List