b.26 May 1932 d.26 January 2006
MB ChB St And(1956) MRCP(1965) MD Dundee(1969) FRCP Edin(1973) FRCP(1977)
Peter Robertson was a consultant physician at Northampton General Hospital. He was born in Berwick-upon-Tweed, the son of Matthew Robertson, a retailer. He was educated at Berwick Grammar School and then studied medicine at the University of St Andrews.
After house posts, he joined the RAF as a flight lieutenant for his National Service.
From 1960 to 1962 he was an assistant lecturer at the medical school at Edinburgh. From 1962 he was a lecturer at Dundee and then a registrar in medicine there to Sir Ian Hill [Munk’s Roll, Vol.VII, p.262]. During this period he spent a year as a research fellow at McGill University in Montreal, investigating lung function.
In 1968 he became a consultant physician at Northampton with an interest in respiratory medicine. He worked to integrate the chest department with other hospital services, moving the chest clinic to a site opposite the general hospital and in-patient facilities to a more central site. He was particularly interested in the care of patients with chronic obstructive airway disease, and he pioneered home nebuliser therapy. He was also responsible for setting up the first pulmonary function laboratory in the area.
From his early days as a junior doctor he was interested in medical records and was for many years chairman of the appropriate subcommittee in Northampton.
Outside medicine he was a keen amateur musician, played keyboard, strings and woodwind instruments, and participated in local choirs. He also conducted.
He never married. He was survived by his twin sister and elder brother.
[Brit.med.J., 2006 332 978; The Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh www.rcpe.ac.uk/obituary/dr-peter-cowe-robertson-frpc-edin – accessed 27 February 2014]
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List