b.27 February 1917 d.8 April 2005
MB BCh BAO Belfast(1940) MD(1943) MRCPI(1951) FRCPI(1965) FRCP(1969)
Thomas George Milliken was a consultant physician at South Tyrone Hospital, Dungannon, county Tyrone, Ireland. He was born in Port Dalhousie, Ontario, Canada, the son of Joseph Jamison Milliken, an engineer, and Margaret Wood Anderson, the daughter of a schoolmaster. He was educated at Harryville School and Ballymena Academy. He went on to study medicine at Queen’s University, Belfast, graduating in 1940.
He was rejected by the RAMC on medical grounds due to osteomyelitis of the lumbar and thoracic spine. From 1940 to 1943, he was a demonstrator in pathology and bacteriology, and assistant to the professor of pathology, Sir John Henry Biggart [Munk’s Roll, Vol.VII, p.42]. During this period he helped with the setting up of the Northern Ireland Blood Transfusion Service. Between 1941 and 1943 he was also an honorary resident medical officer at Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast. In 1943 he became a ship’s surgeon to the British Merchant Navy, and saw service on troopships and a hospital ship in the Atlantic, Mediterranean, Indian Ocean and Far East, gaining what he described as the ‘usual campaign medals’.
After the end of the war, he was a house physician, registrar and then senior registrar to Sir W W D Thomson [Munk’s Roll, Vol.V, p.413] at Royal Victoria Hospital. From 1951 to 1952, he was a senior registrar at Tyrone County Hospital, Omagh, county Tyrone.
He was appointed to his post as a consultant physician to South Tyrone Hospital in 1953. While there he helped plan and build a new 300-bed hospital, replacing the old 1841 workhouse. He was also chair of the management committee of the Parkanaur Training Centre for adolescents with disabilities in county Tyrone.
At the time of his election to the fellowship of the RCP in 1969 he listed his hobbies and interests as: ‘(1) The practice of Medicine in the Hippocratic tradition, and also as a discipline of Biology; (2) Painting, sculpture, architecture and music, and the collecting of English domestic silver; (3) Books and book-collecting; (4) A lifelong interest in cricket: now relegated to President of the local club.’
In 1954 he married Margaret Mary Nuala Drumm, the daughter of a draper. They had one son and three daughters.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List