b.24 February 1913 d.31 December 1999
BA Oxon(1933) BM BCh(1936) MRCS LRCP(1936) MRCP(1938) DM(1945) FRCP(1972)
David Kendall was a consultant neurologist at the Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford, St Helier Hospital, Carshalton, and Atkinson Morley’s Hospital, Wimbledon. He was born in Godalming, Surrey, the son of Guy Kendall, a headmaster, and Ada née Sampson, the daughter of a solicitor. He was educated at University College and Westminster schools, and then went to Oxford University. He qualified from St Thomas’ Hospital in 1936.
He held junior posts at St Thomas’ Hospital, as a casualty officer and then a house physician on the medical unit. During 1937 he was a senior medical casualty officer at St Thomas’. In 1938 he was a house physician at the National Hospital, Queen Square. During the war, he was a neurologist at Hurstwood Park Neurological and Neurological Unit. In 1945, he became a registrar at the National Hospital, Queen Square, and was then chief assistant in neurology at St Thomas’ Hospital.
In 1948, he became a consultant neurologist for the South East Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board. From 1968 he was an honorary consultant neurologist at the department of neurosurgery, St George’s Hospital, and from 1967 he was a consultant neurologist at the Department of Health and Social Security. He was subsequently appointed as a consultant neurologist to the Royal Surrey County Hospital, Guildford, setting up the first neurological department there and becoming the only consultant neurologist in a large area.
He published papers on multiple sclerosis and peripheral nerve injuries, and was a founder member of the MS Society. After he retired he focused on medico-legal work.
Outside medicine, he enjoyed music and gardening. In 1937, he married Wifrida Lawson. They had one son and one daughter. He married for a second time, to Jane. There are seven grandchildren.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List