Lives of the fellows

Anthony Derek Maurice Jackson

b.9 July 1918 d.24 December 2005
MB BS Lond(1943) DCH(1947) MD(1949) MRCP(1949) FRCP(1967) FRCPCH(1996)

Anthony Derek Maurice Jackson, known as ‘Tony’, was a consultant paediatrician at the London Hospital and Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children. He was born in Dublin, the son of Robert Jackson, a jeweller, and Monica Roberts, the daughter of a soldier. He attended University College School and then studied medicine at Middlesex Hospital Medical School, qualifying in 1943 during the Second World War.

After a shortened preregistration period at Middlesex and Harrow, he joined the RAMC, in a field ambulance, and saw service in France, Germany and North Africa. In Tripoli he met Jessie Fisken Wilkes, a physiotherapist and the daughter of a soldier. They married in 1946. They had one son and two daughters.

Following his demobilisation and a year in general practice, he started his career in paediatrics. He began his training in the children’s department at Middlesex, before moving to the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street. As a senior registrar he worked with Winifred Young [Munk’s Roll, Vol.VI, p.485] in her cystic fibrosis clinic at Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children. Between 1956 and 1959, he was a senior lecturer and assistant to Sir Alan Moncrieff [Munk’s Roll, VolVI, p.343] at the Institute of Child Health, London. In 1959 he was appointed as a consultant physician to the children’s department at the London Hospital and to St Margaret’s Hospital, Epping.

In 1965 he transferred to Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Children, taking on the care of the younger children with cystic fibrosis. He wrote papers on cystic fibrosis, applied the latest technological and pharmaceutical developments into everyday practice, and gave much-needed support to families and patients.

In 1970 he was appointed as postgraduate dean at the London Hospital Medical College, a post he held for 12 years. During this period he established a new computer system of preregistration house appointments between the London and district general hospitals in the south of England.

Over a period of some 20 years he contributed to the running of the British Paediatric Association (BPA), holding the posts of secretary to the academic board and honorary treasurer. With Donald Court [Munk’s Roll, Vol.X, p.77] he edited Paediatrics in the seventies: developing the child health services (London, Oxford University Press for the Nuffield Provincial Hospitals Trust, 1972), the BPA’s blueprint for the future of the specialty. He also co-wrote The British Paediatric Association 1928-1988 (The Association, 1989) with John O Forfar and Bernard M Laurance.

He was president of the section of paediatrics of the Royal Society of Medicine in 1981. He was awarded an honorary fellowship of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health in 1996, on its foundation.

At the Royal College of Physicians, he was a council member and chairman of the paediatric committee for 10 years. He was a censor and an examiner for the MRCP examination.

Following his retirement in 1983, he was appointed chairman of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust’s research and medical advisory committee and was awarded the John Pancaud medal of the trust.

He played rugby in his youth, representing Middlesex Public Schools in 1937. After his retirement he developed an interest in bowling.

Tony Jackson developed chronic renal failure four years before his death from pneumonia and peritonitis. After his death, a prize was established at the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health in his memory, to encourage medical students and new graduates to take up a career in paediatrics.

RCP editor

[Cystic Fibrosis News summer 1984. p.8;, 2006 332 426]

(Volume XII, page web)

<< Back to List