b.10 September 1919 d.1 April 2000
MRCS LRCP(1941) MB BS Lond(1946) DMRD(1948) MRCP(1974) FRCR(1975) FRCP(1979)
Richard David Hoare was a consultant neuroradiologist at Guy’s, the Maudsley and Great Ormond Street hospitals. He was born in Staines, Middlesex, the son of Frederick Charles Hoare, a local government officer. He was educated at Bishop’s Stortford College, and then went on to study medicine at King’s College, London, and then St George’s Hospital, where he held house appointments.
From 1942 to 1946 he served as a surgeon lieutenant in the Royal Navy. After service at sea, he was stationed at Invergordon, and found he was expected to run the X-ray department. This accidental beginning led to his career in radiology. He started his training at the Middlesex Hospital, and later moved to Atkinson Morley’s Hospital, where he concentrated on neuroradiology.
In 1951, he joined the staff of Guy’s Hospital, and of the Maudsley and the Royal Throat, Nose and Ear Hospital. He resigned from the latter post two years later on being appointed consultant neuroradiologist at the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street. For the next 31 years he worked at all three hospitals. Once he retired, he moved to the Churchill Clinic, where he continued working for another 15 years.
In the 1960s he was secretary and then president of the British Institute of Radiology, and from 1976 to 1978 president of the British Society of Neuroradiologists, of which he was a founder member.
He married Shirley Elaine née Pettyfer in 1947. They had one son (who predeceased him) and four daughters, one a doctor. His wife had been working to help Romanian children, and it was on a visit to Romania to see this work that he died.
[Guy’s Hosp. Gaz., 1986 Vol.100, p.9-11; Brit.med.J., 2000, 321, 243]
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List