b.2 January 1909 d.26 January 1999
BM BCh Oxon(1935) DM(1946) MRCP(1937) FRCP(1966)
Charles Anthony Hinds Howell was medical director of St Charles Hospital, London. He was born in London, the son of Conrad Meredyth Hinds-Howell [Munk’s Roll, Vol.V, p.191], a physician at St Bartholomew’s Hospital and dean of the medical school at the National Hospital, Queen Square. His mother, Mabel née Gulland, the daughter of the poet and writer Charles Gulland, had graduated in medicine from Edinburgh University. Charles Anthony was educated at Marlborough College, and then went to Trinity College, Oxford.
He was a house physician at St Bartholomew’s Hospital from 1935 to 1936 and then a house surgeon in the skin department. From 1938 he spent a year in general practice in Bournemouth.
From 1939 until 1945 he served in the RAMC, reaching the rank of lieutenant colonel. He was a medical specialist at Aldershot, and then served in India, as medical specialist and officer in charge of hospitals in Karachi and Assam. During his time in the Army he wrote papers on dyspepsia.
Following his demobilisation, he became a temporary consultant physician at Ashford Hospital in Middlesex, and during this period wrote his MD thesis on sprue. From 1949 he was a consultant physician at St Charles Hospital, London, becoming medical director in 1963. He was also a clinical tutor for the British Postgraduate Medical Federation, University of London. From 1957 to 1962 he was a member of the Paddington Group Hospital Management Committee.
He collected early English porcelain and was a member of the English Ceramic Circle. He also enjoyed gardening and photography. Whilst a student, he played rugby for Marlborough and for Middlesex public schools, and hockey for Marlborough, Bart’s and Oxfordshire.
He married Jasemine Amy née Greenaway, the daughter of Sir Percy Greenaway, a former printer and stationer and one time Lord Mayor of London. They had three daughters.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List