b.22 August 1917 d.2000
MB BS Lond(1940) MRCP(1942) MD(1942) DTM&H(1948) MD(1948) FRCP(1975)
James Treacy ‘Jimmy’ Harold was a physician in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. The only son of James Harold, a doctor, and Agnes née Treacy, he studied medicine at St Bartholomew’s Hospital, London, qualifying in 1940.
He held a house physician post on the medical professorial unit at St Bartholomew’s, before becoming a resident medical officer at St Andrew’s Hospital, Dollis Hill. In 1942, he became a medical officer for the North East London Blood Supply Depot, gaining an MD and his membership of the College in the same year. He subsequently returned to St Bartholomew’s, as chief assistant on the medical professorial unit.
In 1945, he became a major in the RAMC, as a medical specialist, becoming a lieutenant colonel in charge of a medical division and an acting dermatologist for the British Commonwealth Occupying Force, which occupied Japan after the end of the Second World War. In 1948 he gained a second MD, in tropical medicine, as well a diploma in tropical medicine and hygiene.
Following his demobilisation, he was appointed as a medical registrar and then as a senior medical registrar at Brompton Hospital in London. He was also a specialist in tropical disease for the Ministry of Pensions.
In 1956, he left the UK and gained a licence to practice internal medicine in Arizona. He worked in Phoenix. In the 1950s he wrote papers on bronchitis, tuberculosis and cancer of the lung, among other topics.
He was married to Helen. He had two children – Ooneen and Jaime.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List