Lives of the fellows

Deryck Lake Hepworth Goddard

b.15 May 1913 d.2001
MRCS LRCP(1936) MB BS Lond(1936) MD(1939) MRCP(1940) FRCP(1971)

Deryck Lake Hepworth Goddard was a consultant physician at the Preston and Chorley group of hospitals. He was born in London, the son of Philip Henry Goddard, a solicitor, and Muriel Frances Goddard née Hinton, the daughter of a farmer. He was educated at Aldenham School and then studied medicine, qualifying from St Thomas’ in 1936.

He held house posts at St Thomas’ – as a clinical assistant in the children’s department, as a casualty officer and a house surgeon. Between 1938 and 1940, he was a casualty officer, a house physician to Guy Scadding [Munk’s Roll, Vol.XI, p.501], and then a medical tutor and resident medical officer at the British Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith.

In May 1940 he joined the Army, initially as a lieutenant in the 22nd General Hospital with the North Western Expeditionary Force. He was then with a field ambulance unit in the UK. Between December 1940 and April 1943 he was a medical specialist with the rank of major with 37th General Hospital, part of the Royal West African Frontier Force. He was then commanding officer of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital for Officers, Sevenoaks. In July 1943 he was invalided out of the service.

In March 1945 he became a medical registrar and resident medical officer at Brompton Hospital. In 1952 Goddard was appointed as a consultant chest physician at St Wulstan’s Hospital, Malvern. In 1960 he moved to Brompton Hospital, Frimley, Surrey, which had been established in 1904 to treat tuberculosis patients. From 1964 he was a consultant physician at Preston and Chorley with a special interest in diseases of the chest.

Between 1966 and 1968 he was honorary secretary of the British Thoracic and Tuberculosis Association, and in 1971 a member of the council of Manchester Medical Society.

At the time of his election to the fellowship of the RCP in 1971 he listed music, gardening and sport as his interests. Whilst a medical student he had been a boxing champion.

In 1951 he married Emily Louisa Cox, the daughter of George David Cox, a civil servant. They had two daughters.

RCP editor

(Volume XII, page web)

<< Back to List