b.19 September 1917 d.22 October 2006
MRCS LRCP(1941) MB BS Lond(1943) MRCP(1951) FRCP 2002
John Clifford Firth was a consultant geriatrician in Luton and Hitchin. He was born in Ealing, London, the son of John Naylor Firth, a pharmaceutical chemist, and Annie Firth, a housewife. He was educated at William Ellis School in north London, and then went on to University College London to study medicine. He qualified with the conjoint diploma in 1941.
From 1941 to 1942 he was a house physician to Harold Himsworth [Munk’s Roll, Vol.IX, p.238] at University College Hospital, where he captained the first 11 soccer team. He was then house physician to Hexham Hospital.
In 1943 he joined the RAMC, becoming a captain and serving in Sicily, Italy and Hungary.
Following his demobilisation in 1947, he was a house physician at Hammersmith Hospital. From 1948 to 1954 he was a registrar at Fulham and St James’ hospitals. He then spent 10 years as a senior medical registrar at St James’ and St Benedict hospitals, in London.
In 1964 he became a consultant geriatrician at south Bedfordshire and south and north Hertfordshire, until he retired in 1985.
In 1952 he married Ida, a nurse. They had a son and a daughter.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List