b.2 August 1910 d.10 June 1999
MRCS LRCP(1936) MB BChir Cantab(1942) MD(1946) MRCP(1948) FRCP(1960) DCH(1947)
Hugh Lewis Ellis was a consultant paediatrician for the Oxfordshire Area Health Authority. He was born in Bournville, Birmingham, the son of a doctor, Frederick William Ellis, who transformed the old Birmingham Workhouse Infirmary into the Dudley Road Hospital, and his wife, Constance Maude Frances née Sanders. His brother, Sir John Rogers Ellis [Munk’s Roll, Vol.XI, p.179], became dean of the London Hospital Medical School. Hugh was educated at Oundle, and then studied at Cambridge and Middlesex Hospital. He qualified MRCS LRCP in 1936 and held house posts at Middlesex Hospital and at the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street Hospital. He also held two locum positions in general practice.
From 1939 he served in the Royal Army Medical Corps, in France, England and then in India, where he organised the blood transfusion service for much of the country. He was mentioned in despatches and demobilised with the rank of honorary lieutenant colonel.
In 1946 he returned to the UK, as a registrar at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge, and then at Great Ormond Street. From 1948 to 1949 he was a tutor in child health and a senior registrar at the Children’s Hospital, Bristol.
In 1949 he was appointed as an assistant paediatrician, and subsequently as a consultant paediatrician, for the United Oxford Hospitals, a post he held until his retirement. He was also a clinical lecturer in childhood diseases for Oxford University. The Hugh Ellis Paediatric Assessment Centre at the Churchill Hospital was named in his honour.
Outside medicine, he was particularly interested in gardening. He married Kathleen Jacqueline née Brannigan, the daughter of a dentist, in 1943. They had a daughter, Anne, and a son, Michael. There are four grandchildren.
[Brit.med.J.,319, 1999, 713]
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List