b.18 May 1921 d.11 January 2005
BSc Manchester(1941) MB ChB(1944) DCH(1946) MRCP(1952) FRCP(1974)
John Harvey Diggle was a consultant physician with an interest in paediatrics, in Bolton and Grantham. He was born in Heywood, Lancashire, the son of Harvey Diggle, a cotton goods manufacturer, and Agnes née Spence, the daughter of a railway station master. He attended a Church of England primary school, and then went on to a local grammar school. He gained a place to study medicine at Manchester University, qualifying in 1944.
He held house physician posts at Ancoats Hospital, Manchester, and Victoria Hospital, Blackpool. He was then a resident medical officer at the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital.
From 1947 to 1949, he was a graded physician in the RAMC, serving in hospitals in Egypt, Palestine and Cyprus.
Following his demobilisation, he was a registrar in medicine at the Royal Infirmary, Sheffield. From 1951 to 1952, he was a medical registrar at the Bristol Royal Infirmary. He then decided to specialise in paediatrics. From 1952 to 1953, he was a house physician at the Hospital for Sick Children, Great Ormond Street. He was then a resident paediatrician at Queen Charlotte’s Hospital, London. Between 1955 and 1960, he was a registrar and then a senior registrar at Sheffield Children’s Hospital. In 1960 he was appointed to his consultant post at Bolton and Grantham. He was also a clinical tutor to the Bolton group of hospitals for the University of Sheffield from 1963 to 1972.
He wrote papers on, amongst other topics, favism, influenza, thyrotoxicosis and hereditary quivering of the chin.
Outside medicine, he was captain of the United Sheffield Hospitals cricket team. He also painted, using a range of media, and was commissioned to create some oil paintings. In 1951 he married Jean Margaret Berry, the daughter of a journalist. They had two sons and two daughters.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List