b.7 November 1937 d.January 2004
MB BS Calcutta MRCP(1969) FRCP(1983)
Ramanuja Das Gupta was a cardiologist in Kolkata (Calcutta). He was born in Faridpur, India (now in Bangladesh), the son of Rames Das Gupta. He was educated at the Mitra Institute, Calcutta, and then studied at St Xavier’s College and at the Medical College in the same city.
In 1969 he went to the UK, as a fellow in cardiology at Manchester Royal Infirmary. In 1971, he travelled to the United States, as a fellow in cardiology at Buffalo General Hospital, New York, and then at North Shore University Hospital (from 1972 to 1973). From 1973 to 1974 he was a fellow in the cardiology department at Pennsylvania Hospital.
He returned to India, where he was appointed as a visiting cardiologist at the Niramoy Polyclinic in Calcutta. In 1978, he was also appointed as a visiting cardiologist at the Ramakrishna Mission Seva Pratishthan in Calcutta and as an associate professor of medicine at Vivekananda Institute of Medical Sciences.
He wrote papers on, among other subjects, anti-arrhythmic drug therapy in acute myocardial infarction, familial occurrence of sinus bradycardia, chronic Q fever, and chronic rheumatic valvular disease.
At the time of his election to his fellowship of the RCP in 1983, he listed travelling, photography and ‘non-medical reading (esp literature)’ as his interests.
In 1976 he married Nandita, the daughter of Jibendra Mohon Gupta.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List