b.22 September 1940 d.20 March 2004
BSc Birm(1961) MB ChB(1965) MRCP(1968) FRCP(2001)
Barry Lewis Coulton was a general practitioner in Dorridge, Solihull, with a special interest in rheumatology. He was born in Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire, the son of Samuel Charles Coulton, a mechanical engineer, and Bertha Alice Coulton, a housewife. He was educated at Ashby-de-la-Zouch Boys’ Grammar School, and then went to Birmingham University to study medicine. As a student, he was influenced by Lord Solly Zuckerman [Munk’s Roll, Vol.IX, p.612], then professor of anatomy at Birmingham.
After qualifying, Lewis held junior posts in medicine in Birmingham, at Dudley Road and Queen Elizabeth hospitals, and then at Cardiff Royal Infirmary and Hammersmith Hospital in London. In 1968, he decided on a career in general practice, accepting a training position in Bideford-on-Avon, Warwickshire. From 1969 to 2000, he was a general practitioner in Solihull.
He developed an interest in rheumatology, and for many years held a post as clinical assistant in the rheumatology unit at Highfield Hospital, Drotwich, with John Popert [Munk’s Roll, Vol.XII, web]. He later moved to new premises at Worcester Royal Infirmary. He was a member of the Midland Rheumatology Society and researched into the long-term outcome of treating arthritis, which led to several papers.
He was also a racecourse doctor, becoming senior medical officer to the Stratford-upon-Avon and Warwick courses. Just before his death, he was appointed by the Racecourse Association as an inspector of medical services to racecourses in the south west of England. He also bred horses.
In 1968, Lewis married Rita, a former nurse. They had two daughters and a granddaughter. He died following a short illness, three years after retiring as a senior partner in his practice.
[Brit.med.J., 2004 329 115]
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List