b.12 February 1911 d.21 September 1999
MRCS LRCP(1935) MB BS Lond(1938) MRCP(1941) MD(1948) FRCP(1963)
William Edward Clarke was a physician in the Hornsey, Wood Green and Southgate areas of London. He was born in Swansea, the son of James Dow Clarke, a steel smelter, and Harriet Ann née Jones. He was educated at Swansea Secondary School, and then studied medicine at King’s College, London. He held house posts at Charing Cross Hospital.
From March 1942 to July 1946 he was a medical specialist in the RNVR with the rank of surgeon lieutenant commander.
Following demobilisation, he returned to Charing Cross Hospital as a senior medical registrar. In 1950, he was appointed as a physician and then physician in charge of the cardiac clinic at the Royal Northern Hospital and Highlands General Hospital. From 1951 he was also a physician at Hornsey Central Hospital and Wood Green and Southgate Hospital.
He wrote articles on thyrotoxic heart disease and on vitamin B12, and contributed chapters on cardio-vascular disease. He served on the management committees of the Northern and Barnet Groups.
Outside medicine, he was interested in swimming, gardening, photography, old furniture and porcelain. He married Helen Susanna née Fraser, also a medical graduate, in 1943. They had two sons and two daughters, two of their children were adopted.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List