b.7 May 1927 d.June 2005
MB ChB Bristol(1954) BSc(1958) PhD(1962) FRIC(1966) MD(1968) MRCP(1977) FRSC(1979) FRCP(1983)
John Richard Clamp was professor of experimental medicine at the University of Bristol. His father was William Stephen Clamp, a lino-type operator. He was educated at Wallington County School, Sutton.
Between 1945 and 1948 he was in the Army, reaching the rank of captain in the East Surrey Regiment.
He then started his studies at the University of Bristol, qualifying in 1954. He held a house surgeon post at the Royal United Hospital, Bath, and was a house physician under Victor Neale [Munk’s Roll, Vol.VI, p.355] at Bristol Children’s Hospital. He gained a BSc in biochemistry in 1958 and went on to carry out research under Charles Dent [Munk’s Roll, Vol VII, p.148] at University College Hospital. He gained his PhD in 1962.
He returned to the University of Bristol, where he was a research fellow in medicine, a lecturer, a consultant senior lecturer and then professor of experimental medicine (from 1974 to 1992). He researched and wrote extensively on gastrointestinal topics, specifically gastric mucus and mucous membranes.
Outside medicine, he was interested in archaeology.
In 1962 he married Anita Betty Davies, the daughter of a British Rail storesman. They had two sons and a daughter.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List