b.9 December 1915 d.12 May 2007
MRCS LRCP(1940) MB BChir Cantab(1940) MRCP(1947) FRCP(1970)
Michael Wood was undoubtedly one of the most respected physicians of his time on the Wirral. Born in Birmingham, the son of an engineer, he was educated at Marlborough College, as have five generations of his family. He proceeded to Magdalene College, Cambridge, and then to St Mary's, where he qualified MB BS. The Second World War intervened and, after house appointments at Basingstoke, he joined the RAF serving in HQ Second Tactical Force. He saw service in Normandy, Belgium and Germany.
After the war he became a medical registrar at St Mary's and later chief assistant physician at West Middlesex. He became a member of the College in 1947 and obtained an MD.
He was appointed consultant physician to Clatterbridge Hospital in 1952. This hospital was emerging from the war years as a British and American military hospital. Most consultants were visiting from Liverpool teaching hospitals, so two resident physicians were appointed to the growing hospital. He quickly set about developing the medical department, in particular the diabetic services and cardiology, promoting the modernisation of medicine in the hospital, first with one and then two colleagues. Anyone who has started a service from scratch will understand the difficulties this presented and the great effort required. He claimed that the early diagnosis of a sub-phrenic abscess in a private patient of the senior surgeon established his reputation. He was also visiting physician to Hoylake Cottage Hospital and later to Caldy Heart Hospital. He rapidly made his mark with his colleagues, giving a comprehensive service to general practitioners and hospital alike. This of course led to his developing a successful private practice, although he ensured this never interfered with his NHS commitments.
(Volume XII, page web)
<< Back to List